Mantano Cloud has reached an important milestone: you can now share your books and its annotations with your friends or colleagues!
- Click on the small “Share” icon close to the book cover in the Library;
- Select a set of contacts or enter their emails;
- They will receive an email to notify them that you want to share a book with them;
- They can accept or reject, from their personal space on the “Mantano Cloud” website;
- Those who do not have a Mantano Cloud account yet will be prompted to create one;
- When one of your contacts accepts a book:
- If this book is already in his Library in the cloud, the annotations will be shared: you will see each other’s annotations;
- If this book isn’t yet in his personal Library, it is inserted inside and it remains accessible forever, even if you remove this book from your library.
This sharing allows to share DRM-free ebooks as well as DRM protected books. However:
- If your contact already has the book, it will work as described above: the annotations will be shared and you will see each other’s annotations;
- If your contact doesn’t own the book yet, he will be able to download your copy but of course he will get a DRM error message when trying to open it for the first time. If he purchases the book, then, again, of course he will be able to read it (this is rather normal…) and the related annotations will be shared.
This is hopefully the beginning of a whole set of sharing options. Our roadmap includes features such as:
- Creating groups, which can be extremely useful for teachers, for example;
- Sharing specific annotations or sets of annotations with specific contacts (individuals or groups).
We will also keep improving the web interface, and provide handy browser extensions such as “Send to my Library” contextual menu items.
As usual, your feedback will be very appreciated!