We have been working hard on the latest 2.2.0 version, which¬†¬†has been officially launched last week. It included major improvements, such as a¬†page turn effect and tap to zoom on images in EPUB files, a smooth page turn and fast “fling” for PDF files, or an improved Search function (see the complete changelog at the end of this article).¬†There are tons of improvements all around.
Since this version was a major step, we have adopted a new strategy: before launching it, we have published a beta version which has been made available to the users of the Premium version. We know that our application is used for important use cases and we want to minimize the risks implied by any upgrade. We have received an unvaluable support from our beta-testers and we are sincerely grateful to all of them. This beta is not available anymore, since the official 2.2.0 launch.
During 2 days, we have received passionate feedback from the first users of this new version: the deep work has been recognized, but a fact became blatant: there is a deep dichotomy between our users. Some want to get an app which reminds a book, and some prefer an app which is “just an app”! We decided to add a few settings to allow our users to fine-tune the app to their tastes. We’ll be very careful in the future to avoid expanding the number of settings, but on this major upgrade we were faced to a real need. It was a shame to waste the benefits of the new features because they are not appropriate for everyone.
To match the expectations of the largest number of users, we have prepared a new upgrade (2.2.1), which takes this feedback into account and fixes a few issues. It ¬†is currently being uploaded to Google Play and should be shortly available.
Again, we sincerely hope that this version will be percieved as a major upgrade. It’s not the end of the road, it’s just the beginning!
PS: Remember: on Google Play, the best rating is 5 stars, not 1
Changelog for the¬†2.2.1 Premium version
- EPUB: Page turn effect
- EPUB: Zoom on images (tap on the image to zoom)
- PDF: Smooth horizontal and vertical page turn, and fast “fling”
- PDF: “Horizontal fit” renamed “Vertical page scroll” which also adjusts the zoom level to adjust the page width to the display width
- Search function improved: search results now appear in a list, in a panel similar to the Table of Contents(Premium only)
- When listening to TTS, the Volume buttons do not turn pages and allow to control the volume
- PDF: new Advanced manual crop (Premium version only)
- When looking up the last word of a sentence in the dictionary, the punctuation sign is not included anymore
- A Setting allows to define an ‚Äúagressive‚Äù strategy to change the background. It may affect the text selection. Switch it off if you have to do such text selections. Switch it on if you just read.
- Disabling animations also disables the Page Curl animation when reading EPUB
- A Setting allows to remove the book borders
- A new setting now allows to display 1 or 2 pages when reading in landscape mode
- Dictionary: open dialog and launch search with default dictionary
- New Underline and Strikethrough effects on a selection (Premium only)
- Icons indicating the presence of an annotation attached to a highlight or selection are now displayed close to it
- The last selection type used (colored highlight, strikethrough, underline or selection) is remembered and applied by default on subsequent selections
- Cloud: downloads can now be canceled
- RMDSK upgraded to 9.3.2
- In lexicon words, added icon to show the dictionary type origin
- If a lexicon item has been found in a web dictionary, the web page is displayed inside the popup with a button to open the browser in full page
- If a lexicon word is related to a book, the book’s title is displayed in the popup
- Dictionary: the popup automatically launches a search with the default dictionary